Thursday, July 25, 2013

Creating something new...

Out of something old. My newest passion. I've not given up scrapbooking or envelope albums or creating with photos. But a bicycle accident followed by a running fall last year has seriously impacted my ability to spend much time playing with paper. Yes, exercise is clearly dangerous. No, I'm not giving up bicycling (though it wouldn't take much effort to convince me to stop running!), but I'm enjoying other creative endeavors as well. Hence, my latest obsession.

Inspired by these two lovely, talented and wonderful ladies, http://chicenvelopements.wordpress.com/ (Beth)
http://marysthriftychic.com/ (Mary) I am now using my sewing machine for something other than paper.

I've been a Goodwill/Thrift Store shopper for over five years, but have just been careful about selecting things in the right sizes and in good shape. Now, not so much. I can re-pair, re-make and re-purpose!

Best of all (well, Brian might disagree, but we aren't asking him!) there is a Goodwill outlet within riding distance and at $.89 a pound I am willing to take a whole lot of risk!

So, I have stocked up on projects (seriously, and if the insert-photo button wasn't giving me fits right now I'd prove it!) and am ready to re-purpose. My first project was a rescue. A seriously filthy, torn and dejected stuffed Snoopy was found in the bins at the Outlet and I had to try and save him. He called to me! One hot-with-bleach bath, a new collar and some minor surgery later, Snoopy is looking great!

Next up is some alteration work for Meeko. She and Flit are back from their cross-country bicycling adventure (read about it here  http://www.missionusa2013.blogspot.com/ ) and are heading to the Gorge with sixty gobzillion friends for Watershed. Of course, that requires some new/old clothing. Stay tuned!

I'll be danged... it worked! Sissy and I with SOME of our amazing outlet finds. (I'm non-discriminatory, I'm happy to re-purpose more than just clothing!)

And here is my rescued Snoopy
OK. For real this time. A little re-fashioning, a little bike ride and a lot of work. Stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment