Sunday, January 25, 2015

Organization impetus and color challenge

Happy Sunday! Grades are in, lesson plans are done, copies are made and Guided Reading stations are a go. In my world that means play time! In honor of National Readathon Day, I spent some quality time with a couple of books yesterday, and though I'd love to go for a ride, Odessa is decidedly NOT cyclist friendly! So, I've jumped on the new year organizing band wagon and am making play time a little easier to accomplish.

In the past I stored crafty things by type and manufacturer. When you are making things for books or magazines or design team assignments EVERYTHING has to be labeled with the products used. I get that, but I don't do that any more so I don't need to label and name and color code everything. Ok, well, I do need to color code because I am still me, but I buy into Einstein's concept that everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler. All that to say I've gotten rid of a ton of stuff and kept my crafting much more simple. I'm not a bling person, so I no longer have a lot of shiny, frilly stuff that I don't use. I still like punches and my Cricut and QuicKutz dies. I have them and I use them.

More later on my storage system.... I bought some clearance kitchen cabinets (the upper units, because they are the right height) and some laminated plywood to make a desk (I'd been using a folding table and I hated it). It still needs to be spray painted (because I am lazy and don't wanna do the tray and roller thing) and I need to put knobs on the doors, but that has to wait until Spring Break. So, current focus: this business.

 

All those wonderful QuicKutz shapes live in that Artbin. Convenient, easy and able to take it when I go to crop weekends (OK, when I used to go to crop weekends). But, not all the holders are labeled and that makes digging through the bin for the right shape a challenge. That black oak bookcase holds my dies, Cricut cartridges and die cut machines. Why did I paint it black?(!) because I got it at a yard sale for $5. Someone had overwatered their plants and left a nasty stain on the bottom and top shelves. A finish sander and some black spray paint (again with the lazy thing) and there is no sign of water damage. Plus, it is sturdy. So, project cut-the-shape-and-put-it-on-the-holder is under way. (Quilt dust cover, on the Cricut, is from my momma. She's a good job.)

In the meantime, I made this for the MFT color challenge. I bought the sampler pack, but the newest cardstock colors were not in it, so I went with "close enough". Colors are: Sour Apple (also known as light green), Grape Jelly (aka purple), Nightshift Blue (navy) and Chocolate Brown (dark brown). I used Blueberry ink for the sentiment because I liked it. All CS is by MFT, as are the rolled roses (from a die-namics) and the greeting. Purple polka dot paper (glad I don't have to say that fast five times!) is from Michaels or Hobby Lobby, the purple and white twine is Doodlebug, chalk is chalk (for reals) and the distress ink is Tim Holtz something-or-other. I made up the basket and the leaves are an eons old leaf punch. McGill. Maybe.  OH! And the they're-so-old-they're-practically-retro photo corners are a QuicKutz die. And the reason for the needs-to-be-finished project shown above.
Thank you for stopping by and happy creating!


1 comment:

  1. Wowie! You've been busy making a basketful of flowers! Go make yourself a white chocolate martini to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete